mask

mask

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Love for our Military


I have a cause near and dear to my heart and that is the Armed Forces of the US.  I have so much love and respect for those that serve, it's hard to contain.  I have a lot of friends and family that have served, but it wasn't until recently that I really understood all they have gone through.  I have a really good friend who was in the Army for 25 years.  He hasn't shared much of the things he saw in war, but he has shared some and has talked to me about his PTSD.  It's frightening really.  We send our young men and women off to war, but then don't give them the support they need when they come home.  Yes, there are resources, but we have this notion that these people are strong and don't need the support that they do.  But think about it.  Think about someone you know who has been in the military.  Was that person much different from you?  Would you be able to see the horrors of war up close and personal and come back unscathed?  Probably not.  So why do we expect our military personnel to do so?

Anyway, I've been trying to figure out a way to get involved either by volunteering or donating and wasn't sure where to start.  And honestly, I'm more about donating than volunteering.   I've read about the Wounded Warrior Project and other resources for former military, but wasn't sure what I could do.  The past few days have been pointing the way to me.  Wounded Warrior Project keeps coming up on commercials on tv, in my Facebook feed, and even in a show I was watching.  You don't have to hit me over the head with it.  I know I need to donate and/or volunteer.  I went to the website and they actually are not taking any more volunteers in my area at this time (but check back later).  So, I plan to start a monthly donation and I'm asking you to think about doing the same (this is not a sales pitch or donation pitch and this is the only time I'll mention it).  Go to WWP to make your donation or to learn more.

The other organization I'm interested in, and there are no volunteer opportunities for me at this time either, is Stop Soldier Suicide.  This one is geared solely toward stopping soldiers and veterans from committing suicide.  The suicide rates among those groups is higher than the general population.  Part of why I started looking into these organizations is because the friend I mentioned above has thought about suicide on many occasions and has even gone so far as to wrap up his personal commitments, preparing for the end more than once.    If you want to donate to this worthy cause or learn more about them, go to SSS.

Until next time, much peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment