mask

mask

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Jen Lancaster--book signing aka MY HERO

I got to meet one of my favorite authors the other day, Jen Lancaster.  The first words out of her mouth were, "I know you, don't I?"  And then, "Why do you look so familiar?"  My response, "Because I'm from Indiana and we all know each other?"  She got a kick out of that, as she is from Indiana. 

One of the reasons I like her so much is that we are so much alike.  She started out writing memoir-type books and I actually looked for hidden cameras when I first started reading her, because it seemed she was writing about my life.  We are both from Indiana, both went to the big schools there (her to Purdue and me to Indiana University--rival schools, BTW), both were asked to leave those big schools, both eventually received our degrees (she actually got hers from Purdue, but mine is from UCLA), both live/lived in Chicago, both love alcohol and entertaining our friends, both love to watch a shitload of tv, both love four-legged furbabies (although she has more and bigger dogs …for now), and both love to write (but procrastinate when doing so).

When I first discovered Jen's books through a friend, I devoured them.  I went on her blog page and started following it.  Both reading her books and following her blog got me interested in some of her friends and fellow writers, Stacey Ballis, Caprice Crane, and Quinn Cummings (there are more too).  I started reading and following their blogs and reading their books as well.  All of this blog following got me interested in other blogs, so I started expanding my blog followings and eventually started writing my own (two) blogs.  I guess you could say that Jen started me on my blogging path.

And now that I have met her, I want to expand.  I want to flesh out my blog more--make it more interesting, but not overwhelming.  Taking suggestions, BTW.  And, I think I'm ready to start doing some other writing again.  So, thank you, Jen, for the inspiration.  Oh yeah--she was so awesome when I met her, as well.  She took the time to speak to everyone that stood in line to sign her books, listened to their stories, and took pictures with everyone.  And, she really listened.  When I went to get my picture with her, I said, "this will be the sweaty Hoosiers picture."  (She had mentioned in the beginning of talking that she would be a sweaty mess by the end of the night, and I was already sweaty too.)  When I got home, I read what she inscribed in my books.  One mentioned our twin lives and the other mentioned sweaty Hoosiers.  How fucking awesome was that?  She listened and personalized the inscriptions.  It made me happy and gave me insight as to how I want to be when I do my own book signings . .. Way way off in the future.

To read more awesomeness that is Jen Lancaster, check out her blog here . . . click here

 
Until next time, much love and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment